Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Middle and High School Magnet Odds

Middle and high school magnet applications get a little more confusing. They are accepted according to the same priorities and criteria that elementary magnet students are except for one. As with elementary magnet applicants, siblings of current magnet students at that school/program are given first priority. A second priority is added for middle and high school applicants--students moving on from one magnet school to another. I have heard that the priority is for magnet students moving on to a magnet in the same program. For example, if a magnet student at an IB elem school applies for an IB middle school. But I am unsure of other instances.

what about base students at a magnet elementary school who aren't assigned to a magnet middle school? Do they have priority in getting accepted to a magnet middle school to continue the program? What about magnet elementary or middle school students who want to move on to a middle or high school magnet that offers a different program? For example, an IB elementary student applying for a GT middle school? Would they get priority over a student who went to a non-magnet elementary school? I'm waiting for clarification on these questions but until then we can still look at what round your base middle school qualifies for. As I said, the criteria for each round are the same for middle and high schools as they are for elementary schools.

To refresh your memory, the criteria states that the F&R% of a node & school should be at least 5% less than the county average. The county average for middle schools is 29.5 so I used 25%. For high schools, the average is 21.6%, so I used 17%.

Rounds One and Two
**Must live in a node 25%(17%) or less F&R, base school must be 25%(17%) or less F&R, crowding factor must be greater than 100%, and 2 year avg of Level I or II performance must be 20% or less. Round 1 is for those who meet all the criteria and applied for the same program last year but were denied. Round 2 is the same except for the 'applied last year' criteria.
Davis Drive Middle
Heritage Middle
Leesville Middle
Martin Middle--magnet
Wakefield Middle
West Cary Middle

Apex High
Leesville High
Panther Creek High

Round Three
**Must live in a node with 25%(17%) or less F&R, base school must be 25%(17%) or less F&R crowding factor must be greater than 85%, and 2 year avg of Level I or II performance must be 20% or less.
Apex Middle
Lufkin Road Middle
Salem Middle
West Lake Middle

Green Hope High
Holly Springs High

Round Four
**No requirement for F&R of your node, base school F&R must be less than 40%, crowding factor must be at least 85%, and 2 year avg of Level I or II performance must be 20% or less.
Centennial Middle--magnet
Ligon Middle--magnet

Athens Drive High
Broughton High--demag'ed
East Wake School of Engineering Systems
East Wake School of Health Science
Enloe High--magnet
Fuquay-Varina High
Garner High--magnet
Knightdale High
Millbrook High
Sanderson High
Wakefield High

Lottery for the Remaining 10% of Seats
**Comments after each school indicate why it wasn't considered in the first 4 rounds. For schools who missed the other rounds solely because of Level I/II performance, I put which round they would otherwise qualify for in bold.

Carnage Middle--magnet (45% F&R, 25.4% Level I/II)
Carroll Middle (43.8% F&R, 27.5% Level I/II)
Daniels Middle--demag'ed this year (21.4% Level I/II) Round 3
Dillard Drive Middle (40.1% F&R, 20.8% Level I/II)
Durant Road Middle (71.3% crowding, 20.9% Level I/II)
East Cary Middle(42.7% crowding)
East Garner Middle--magnet(50.4% F&R, 33.8% Level I/II)
East Millbrook Middle--magnet (43.8% F&R, 30.4% Level I/II)
East Wake Middle (77.6% crowding, 49.6% F&R, 29% Level I/II)
Fuquay-Varina Middle (23.6% Level I/II) Round 4
Holly Ridge Middle (22.2% Level I/II) Round 3
Moore Square Middle--magnet (79.8% crowding, 32.1% Level I/II)
North Garner Middle (30.8% Level I/II) Round 4
Reedy Creek Middle(40.9% F&R, 23.9% Level I/II)
Wake Forest-Rolesville Middle(25.5% Level I/II) Round 4
Wendell Middle(51.3% F&R, 33.8% Level I/II)
West Millbrook Middle(79.1% crowding, 41.7% F&R, 29% Level I/II)
Zebulon Middle--magnet (49.1% F&R, 32.3% Level I/II)

Cary High (78.1% crowding)
East Wake School of Arts, Education & Global Studies (44% F&R)
East Wake School of Integrated Technology (82.9% crowding, 44.2% F&R)
Middle Creek High (81.5% crowding)
SE Raleigh High--magnet (78.4% crowding)
Wake Forest-Rolesville High (76.3% crowding)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Had I not found this website I would have never known how complicated this "lottery" system really is. There was a lot to take from this article so please correct me if I'm wrong, but my child's base school for next year is East Wake Middle so it's looking like her chance to get into a magnet program is pretty slim, unless she get's chosen in the lottery for the last 10% of seats ?? I guess I need to start figuring out how to come up with the money for private school.

Jennifer Mansfield said...

Yep--East Wake is relegated to the 'last 10%' of seats. Its depressing, isn't it? Another interesting piece of info is that the school system was set to open up more magnet seats at E Millbrook Middle school by removing some more of the base. Lori Millberg (most likely your BOE rep) objected because then more students would be able to leave E Wake Middle. The BOE agreed with Millberg and decided not to open those seats. They don't want you to be able to leave E Wake.

I'm interested in learning more about eastern wake schools. Would you be willing to email me to disuss the issues?
voiceforequity@gmail.com.