Friday, February 1, 2008

How Does F&R % Affect EOG Passing Rates? Updated

As I was updating my spreadsheets with EOG passing rates from the 2006-07 NC Report Cards, I noticed that I made a mistake the first time I posted these figures. I used the F&R percentages from 2006-07 but the EOG passing rates from 2005-06. So I redid the tables with the F&R and EOG rates from the same years. Not much changed--the results still show that the Non-Economically Disadvantaged (NED) children's EOG scores went down as F&R went up while the Economically Disadvantaged (ED) children's scores didn't seem to follow any pattern.


2 comments:

Suz said...

Wow. These data seem to speak pretty clearly to NED parents. I thought that it was interesting that the ED scores dipped in the middle ranges but actually climbed up when put in the schools with a very low F&R or a higher F&R. I wonder if the slight up-tick on the higher F&R could be attributed to the fact that they're not on buses for an hour a day. You have to be in a school with a VERY low F&R to see any sort of balancing act with the busing. Anyway, that's my attempt at interpretation.

Jennifer Mansfield said...

Suz,

I also wonder if the shorter bus rides for the F&R kids at the high poverty schools is a factor. I'd like to see WCPSS do a study on the performance rates of nodes that are bused far away vs those who go to go to a 'neighborhood' school.

I also wonder if the lower NED scores are attributed to higher income families leaving those schools as F&R rises or if it's due to teachers being overburdened by high needs kids.

I think its probably a bit of both, but I'd like to see WCPSS actually do a study on it. They seem to be more concerned with the scores for the school as a whole but I don't think that's an accurate picture of what's happening at a school.